Saturday, February 11, 2006

Personal Space

So this blog is going to serve as a journal. I dont really have any outlets to explain the frustrations that I am encountering in the New York Metropolitan area. I am new to the area, about a week and a half now, and I for the life of me can not understand the ways in which "New Yorkers" go about their day to day lives. The are all crammed into small places trying to get to the same destinations. But interestingly enough, they are all in a rush to get there before the other.
So a little background on myself before I really jumo into my ranting and raving. I am born and raised in good old sunny California. I was raised in and around the greater Los Angeles county. Where beautiful people are the norm, and running into movie stars can almost be mundane. I attended UCLA, and lived on the west side if Los Angeles.
Okay with that said, I have taken a chance on life, and ventured out of my comfort zone, and into the fast pace of NYC lifestyle. I along with the woman I love have plunged head first into this melting pot/ pit of people that have crammed into this small island called Manhattan, for a chance at making more of themselves. We moved out here for business reasons, due to a merger by Mayco, to Federated that left a lot of people in strange life changing crossroads. We have, like previously stated, been here about a week and a half now, and so far the same general principle still hold true. People in this city just do not value PERSONAL SPACE. They stand extremely close to you all the time. They talk to your face rather than the comfortable 1-2 foot distance that most people in the world tend to give. They always walk near you, as if they are trying to attain some sort of body heat from you, due to these intense weather conditions. Okay I am rambling now. But the main thought and emphasis is on the ways in which the people here just do not understand. I am thinking that maybe the culture has something to do with the geographics and construction of the city itself. I mean with every building ontop of each other, built north and south, rather than the east and west dimensions of the west coast, I can see how people can start to reconstruct their thinking into more of an intense contact.

So the title of this blogspot is "PSYNOT" which stands for personal space -y- not. Not quite the acronym that we were looking for, but i think that it works for what we are trying to portray. I would be extremely surprised if anyone reads this blog, but if you do please comment so that we can open the lines of communication, and get more feedback on how other people are thinking about this phenomena.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blog Admin said...

new york new york big city of dreams. man, nothing like a personal journal, id say this though, where ever you are make the best of it. Because you could always be in a worser situation. What if you got caught stealing fruit in Iraq? You could say goodbye to your hand! Holla!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home